wheat

What are the Health Benefits of Wheat Germ?

The health benefits of wheat germ are enormous. It is a grain fortified with vitamin E, folate (folic acid), phosphorus, thiamine, zinc, magnesium and essential omega-3 fatty acids and fatty alcohols. It is an excellent source of fiber.

The grain of wheat which gives rise to a new plant when sowed is called the wheat kernel or wheat berry. It is the seed which gives birth to the embryo. The germ is that part of the wheat grain which helps in reproducing the plant and therefore has a high concentration of all the nutrients. The good healthy fat in the grain is mostly found in this part. The bran is the outer fibrous layer. The middle layer between the germ and the bran is known as the endosperm. It is this part which is actually milled for flour. When wheat is processed to make everyday all purpose flour, the germ and bran is removed and thrown.

More and more research shows the advantages of incorporating the germ in our daily diet. Due to high levels of nutrients, the germ is separated from the grain and made into health supplements.

Nutrients Behind the Health Benefits of Wheat Germ

The nutrients which are found in the germ of wheat are as follows:

• Fiber
  • Vitamin E
  • Zinc
  • Complex Carbohydrates
  • B Vitamins such as folate, Niacin, Thiamine and Vitamin B6
  • Calcium

Health Benefits of Wheat Germ

• Vitamin E found in it, is a powerful antioxidant when it comes to skin health and beauty. Vitamin E boosts immunity and has anti-aging properties and can prevent heart diseases and even cancer.
  • It can help control LDL cholesterol and triglycerides and promote cardiovascular health.
  • Wheat germ protein aids in muscle development and does wonders to overall energy, stamina and wellbeing.
  • It contains octacosonal which improves mental agility and alertness.
  • It is used in supplements, especially the ones used in weight loss.
  • It improves metabolism and balances the hormones in the body which in turn helps to cope with stress.
  • Vitamin B boosts immunity, aids digestion, gives healthy skin and enables the body to heal quicker from wounds.
  • Folic acid brings down the homocysteine levels in blood and prevents damage to the arteries.

20 thoughts on “What are the Health Benefits of Wheat Germ?

1. T.S.Sundaram.

I am 87. I had a massive heart attack 20 months back.I take regularly medicines for it. I do brisk walking daily for one hour. I am a yoga enthusiast for the last 56 years. Now I have stopped Yoga practice after the attack, but do the walking daily. .
    I consume daily Wheat germ in hot milk two to three times a day and find it doing good to me.
    Any advice or comments please?.

1. LD TAMERUS

SUGGEST YOU LOOK INTO THE BENEFITS OF FLAXSEED MEAL. BEST TO CHK W/ YOUR DOC. FIRST BEST TO YOU. HOPE THIS HELPS.

2. Alex

Good for you! keep up doing a moderate exercise. I would avoid or consume less cow’s milk if i were you..there are other good alternative out there such as Soy, almond milk etc.

2. ester

stop drinking milk it is bad for you, instead drink coconut milk. milk is homogenized and it is very bad for arteries.

1. Bob

Yes, you’re correct. Pasteurization is a big scam. All you’re drinking is white water with vit. A and D chemically added. This is why a lot of people develop lactose intolerance.
      Coconut or almond milk is very good.

3. Surfer

I mix wheat germ, oats, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, organic peanut butter, protein powder in blendtec blender with almond milk 15oz and blend for bfast every morning.

1. lenny moore

Excellent post-Ive started on smoothies similar to yours, and I’ve just added wheatgerm and I feel on top of the world. Have to take care on the Almond and Rice milk though and will try the Coconut milk as suggested in previous post.
      Thanks for Sharing..

2. Chris

I also mix in quinoa (prounounced kin-wa) which is an ancient grain with many health benefits. I use “Organic Red Quinoa Flakes” and blend it all together with wheatgerm and fresh fruit.

4. allnc

In my blender I add 1 c. of fruit, 1 c. spinach, I raw egg, 1 tbls bee pollen, 1 Tbls. coconut oil or flax oil, 1 scoop protein powder 1/2 c. almond milk (35 cal.) 1 c. water. and 6 or 8 ice cubes. I blend this real good and add to my 1 c. of Kashi cereal with 1/4 c. of wheat germ. I continue adding mixture to cereal until all is gone. I eat very little cereal with each bite. I then juice the rest of the day and lose 3/4 pound weight each day.

5. Dennis T

I have type 2 diabetes and I’m looking for fruit/yogurt smoothie recipes. Are there advantages to honey vs sugar vs others? What about wheat germ (have seen in recipes) pros and cons? thanks

1. Christina

My fasting levels are 118 to 125 and I’m scared but my AC1 are 4.8. I fall asleep after every dinner meal. My family make fun of me saying I never sit through a movie at night. I just bought some Alpha Lipoic Acid (I have taken it the past two nights with my dinner meal) and in the night the highest it went up was 129 but my fasting in the morning was 111 and this morning 103. Also take apple cider vinegar ( I bought it in tablet form- I took that last night too) google “alpha lipoic acid” also I am going today and buying bitter mellons. they also help to digest the carbohydrates. Good luck.

6. mbavt

Hi,

Could you pls help me to answer? can we use Wheat Germ for Kids, how old is kid can eat Wheat Germ.

Many thanks.
    mbavt

7. Christian Louboutin Bianca

Every day you must repent of all anger against others. If you get rid of the unforgiveness, the tormenting spirits of infirmity will leave and you will receive your healing!!!??he Role Of Grief Group Facilitators

8. Peter

Ester, Milk has a variety of benefits that make it deserve a place in our diet. It contains calcium and is high in protein. A 200ml serving of semi skimmed milk has only 98Kcal. It is high in Vitamin A and B and can also lower the risk of some cancers.