Pneumonia is a lung disorder that may strike people of any age. Air sacs in lungs absorb oxygen, however due to pneumonia infection, these air sacs do not function properly. Instead they are filled with fluid which causes lung inflammation. Often fluid retention may cause parasitic, fungal, bacterial or viral infection. Symptoms of pneumonia in adults may include muscle pain, headaches, trouble breathing, fever, chest pain, wheezing, coughing, etc. If proper measures are not taken for treating the ailment on time, it may become fatal too. It is observed that pneumonia can have serious effects if it afflicts children or old people. People with weak immune system are also at higher risk. You must also note that old people and those with weak immune system may not show severe symptoms of this ailment. The treatment for this disorder depends on the health condition of the patient. Usually home remedies for pneumonia are taken in conjunction with medications as home remedies help a long way in treating the condition.
Home Remedies for Pneumonia:
Pneumonia is a life threatening condition and thus, home remedies can only help the main treatment and must not be considered as the main treatment. Following are some effective natural cures for pneumonia that you must follow along with medications:
- One should prefer raw juices for at least 5–7 days in the initial days. You can take a glass of fresh fruit or vegetable juice and it must be diluted with warm water on 1:1 basis. You must drink this at an interval of two hours. Fruits such as orange, apple, pineapple, etc are very helpful.
- Stay away from strong coffee, tea and other carbonated beverages. This may have bad effect in pneumonia.
- You must also avoid white flour, white sugar and all food items made out of them. These foods are heavy for digestion and can worsen pneumonia.
- Alcoholic beverages and meats must not be consumed in this condition.
- Massage with turpentine oil on your rib, then wrap with cotton wool. This method aids in reducing the pain associated with pneumonia. This is an effective remedy to treat this respiratory disorder.
- Smoking works like a poison in this case. It gives much trouble to the lungs and puts extra burden to get appropriate levels of oxygen.
- In the initial and acute stage of pneumonia, herbal tea with black pepper and fenugreek seeds will be very effective. This is a most simple natural cure for pneumonia.
- Black pepper, fenugreek, ginger and turmeric are mucolytics and thus are considered to be good to expel mucus from the body particularly from respiratory tract. You can take these herbs in any form like cooked or raw as they are good for the lungs.
- Also simple lukewarm water along with lime juice and a pinch of rock salt can give temporary relief from congestion and coughing during pneumonia attack. This is a beneficial remedy for pneumonia.
- Traditional ayurvedic therapists suggest application of garlic juice together with sesame oil on the chest. This is a highly useful remedy for this condition.
- Another efficient home remedy is rubbing turpentine oil on the ribcage externally. This gives relief from chest congestion.
- Some ayurvedic medications such as kantakari, lahsuna, methika, aardrak, yashtimadhu, vaasa, punarnava, etc are useful for pneumonia. You can either choose a single drug extract or can choose several formulas that contain the above herbs.
- Drink 300 ml of carrot juice and 200 ml of spinach juice every day. This helps in making the lungs stronger and is also a good remedy for pneumonia.
- Sesame seeds are another favorable natural treatment for pneumonia. Add 15 grams of sesame seeds to 250 ml of water and also add a pinch of common salt, a tablespoon each of linseeds and honey and mix them well. Drink this mixture every day. This aids in removing excess mucus from bronchial tubes.
These are a few home remedies for pneumonia. These must not be considered as main treatments. These must be used along with medical treatments.