Gums are also called gingivae and are fibrous tissues which form the base of teeth and support them. When bacteria attack these tissues, a person is said to have gum infection. Gingivitis is one of the most common gum infections which affects most people. If gingivitis is not treated at the initial stage, there are chances that it goes to next stage of gum infection called periodontitis. Apart from bacteria, gum infections may also be triggered by usage of tobacco, smoking cigarettes, alcohol abuse, nutritional deficiency, etc. People who use steroids, oral contraceptive pills, etc and people who take drugs to treat diseases such as cancer are also at high risk of developing gum infections.
If a person has an infection in their gums, he or she is most likely to experience symptoms such as toothache, bleeding or tender gums, chronic bad breath, redness, swelling in gums and so on. If you experience any of these symptoms, consult a dentist immediately who can give you appropriate gum infection treatments. Apart from antibiotics for gum infection that dentists prescribe, you can also try some home remedies for gum infection which can give relief from symptoms.
Gum Infection Treatments:
Following are some home remedies to treat gum infection:
- Gargling or rinsing the mouth with salt water is one of the great ways to get relief from the pain associated with gum infection. Add two tablespoons of salt to a glass of lukewarm water and swish the salt water in the mouth. This process must be repeated at least twice a day until the pain completely subsides.
- Cinnamon oil and clove oil are said to be great remedies for gum infection treatment, particularly for treating the pain caused by infection. One can apply any one of these oils on the area of the gums which is infected. Make a paste with peroxide powder and clove oil and apply it on the infected area with a cotton ball. This also helps in reducing the pain. You can also keep a clove on the gum to reduce the pain and also for healing the infection, if you don’t have clove oil. Make a mixture with cinnamon and warm water and drink it twice or thrice a day. This is another natural remedy for treating gum infections.
- Like clove, even garlic is also said to be a natural pain reliever which helps in reducing the pain associated with gum infection. First you must crush a garlic clove and add a little amount of rock salt to it. Now apply this mixture on the gums. Also, pepper together with clove oil may give considerable relief from the discomfort triggered by gum infection. If gum infection causes swelling of gums, apply an ice pack on the gums to reduce the swelling and pain because ice works as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- In order eliminate bacteria that caused infection in the gums, you can use peroxide powder. Take half a tablespoon of peroxide powder and combine it with half a cup of water. Now use this solution to rinse your mouth with it. Besides hydrogen peroxide powder, you can also use baking soda to have the same effect. Combine baking soda and water for making a paste and apply on the gums slightly.
- Lemon is another useful remedy to treat gum infections. Take a tablespoon of lemon juice in a small bowl and mix it with salt. Apply this on the infected area of gum to get relief from pain. You can also drink lemon juice made with warm water to reduce the pain caused by gum infection.
- Aloe vera has many health benefits. One of those benefits is treating the gum infection. Take some aloe gel and massage it gently on the gum which is infected by bacteria. Also consuming aloe juice is another effective way to treat this problem.
- Experts also say that eating apples is another best way to cure gum infection because they contain certain nutrients which make gums firmer and stronger. Thus, include apples in the diet and you will get relief from gum problems for sure.
The above mentioned are some useful gum infection treatments which give relief from the pain associated with infection. Consult a dentist if the pain and infection do not subside even after following these home remedies.