Health benefits of tomatoes include treating urinary tract infections, skin ailments and diabetes, lowering hypertension, and they are also good for gut health and eyesight. Tomato is considered both a vegetable and fruit and forms an integral part of cuisine round the globe. It boosts the health of a person if consumed daily. It contains numerous antioxidants which combat various types of cancer. Also tomato is rich in minerals and vitamins and also protects the heart from cardiovascular diseases. Also, tomato prevents urinary tract infections and hypertension, and promotes eye health.
Health Benefits of Tomatoes:
Health benefits of tomatoes have been known to mankind from ancient times. Following are some benefits of tomatoes:
- If tomatoes are consumed in large amount, they help in improving the texture and color of the skin.
- Also, tomatoes are good blood purifiers.
- They help in the cases of congestion of liver and also dissolve gallstones. They also protect liver from cirrhosis.
- Tomatoes act like a natural antiseptic and hence protect from infections. Nicotinic acid present in tomatoes help in reducing blood cholesterol levels thereby preventing heart disorders.
- Vitamin K present in tomatoes help in preventing hemorrhages.
- Tomatoes contain lycopene. Lycopene is the red pigment present in tomatoes. It acts as a powerful antioxidant which fights cancer cells.
- According to the studies of American Medical Association, daily consumption of tomatoes decreases the oxidative stress in type 2 diabetes.
- Tomato helps in reducing the risk of developing hypertension.
- Vitamin A in tomato aids in preventing macular degeneration and night blindness, and in improving vision.
Nutritional Values of Tomatoes:
Following are the nutritional values present in 100 grams of tomatoes:
- Calories – 20
- Protein – 1 gram
- Potassium – 360 mg
- Phosphorus – 27 mg
- Iron – 0.6 mg
- Calcium – 11 mg
- Vitamin C – 23 mg
- Thiamine (Vitamin B) – 0.06 mg
- Vitamin A – 1000 I.U