Dragon fruit was originally called pitaya, because of the scales on its body. It is a beautiful fruit with an intense color and shape and also with dazzling flowers. As it blooms in night, it is also called Moonflower, Queen of the night and Lady of the Night. Usually the fruit is in dark red color, it may also be found in yellow or pink color. The rind of this fruit is covered with big green scales. In the center of the fruit, sweet pulp is present in white or red color, with small black seeds. The nutritional benefits of this fruit makes it a very popular choice among people. Read on to know more about the nutritional and health benefits of dragon fruit.
Nutritional Values of Dragon Fruit:
Following are the nutritional values of dragon fruit present in 100 grams of fruit:
- Niacin – 1.3 mg
- Riboflavin – 0.044 mg
- Thiamine – 0.0 mg
- Vitamin C – 9 mg
- Vitamin B3 – 0.43 mg
- Vitamin B2 – 0.045 mg
- Vitamin B1 – 0.043 mg
- Iron – 0.65 mg
- Phosphorus – 36.1 mg
- Calcium – 8.8 mg
- Carotene – 0.012 mg
- Crude fiber – 0.9 g
- Fat – 0.61 g
- Ash – 0.28 g
- Protein – 0.229 g
- Moisture – 83 g
- Others – 0.68 g
Health Benefits of Dragon Fruit:
- As dragon fruit is a good source of antioxidants, it prevents free radicals and protects from causing cancer and other health detriments from entering your body.
- This fruit helps in neutralizing the toxic substances such as heavy metals. Besides, high blood pressure and cholesterol levels can be reduced by consuming dragon fruit.
- Regular consumption of this aids in fighting against cough and asthma.
- This has high amounts of vitamin C and helps in healing bruises and cuts quickly, and enhancing the immune system.
- Vitamin B2 present in dragon fruit acts like a multivitamin and helps to improve and recover the loss of appetite.
- Vitamin B1 in this fruit helps in increasing the energy production and also in metabolizing carbohydrates.
- Due to the presence of vitamin B3, it helps in lowering bad cholesterol levels. It improves the appearance of your skin by smoothing and moisturizing it.
- It improves eyesight and prevents hypertension.
- As it is a good source of phosphorus and calcium, it reinforces bones, helps in tissue formation and forms healthy teeth.
- Regular consumption of dragon fruit decreases weight, thereby creates a well-balanced body.
- Dragon fruit is also helpful in reducing blood sugar levels in people suffering from type 2 diabetes.