Pomegranate is mainly grown in India, Iran, Azerbaijan, Armenia, dry parts of Southeast Asia, tropical Africa and East Indies, along the parts of Arizona and California and peninsular Malaysia. However, it has been the native fruit of Afghanistan, Iran, northern India and Pakistan. Pomegranate has high nutritional values and numerous health benefits. This article gives information on the nutritional values and health benefits of pomegranate.
Nutritional Values of Pomegranate:
Following are the nutritional values present in 100 grams of pomegranate:
- Fat – 0.3 gm
- Dietary Fiber – 0.6 gm
- Sugars – 16.57 gm
- Carbohydrates – 17.17 gm
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin) – 0.3 mg
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) – 0.063 mg
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) – 0.03mg
- Protein – 0.95 gm
- Iron – 0.3 mg
- Calcium – 3 mg
- Vitamin C – 6.1 mg
- Vitamin B9 (Folate) – 6 mg
- Vitamin B6 – 0.105 mg
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) – 0.596 mg
- Energy – 70 kcal or 290 kJ
- Zinc – 0.12 mg
- Potassium – 259 mg
- Phosphorus – 8 mg
- Magnesium – 3 mg
Health Benefits of Pomegranate:
Following are some health benefits of pomegranate:
- As pomegranates are rich in antioxidants, it can keep bad cholesterol (LDL) from oxidizing and hence prevents atherosclerosis.
- Regular intake of pomegranate juice is highly beneficial for people suffering from heart disorders.
- It has been noted that pomegranate avoids clumping of blood platelets and also formation of unnecessary clots.
- Researchers have found that pomegranate compounds can eliminate prostate cancer.
- It has been observed that juice of pomegranate aids in preventing heart attacks and strokes too.
- Pomegranate juice is very useful for people suffering from diarrhea, but excess consumption may cause constipation.
- It is believed that pomegranate is very effective in reducing plaque in arteries and raising HDL levels.
- Pomegranate juice is related to reducing breast cancer risks.
- It is also associated with reducing blood pressure levels and also enhances oral health.
- Pomegranate consumption can prevent and slow down Alzheimer’s disease.
- It is believed that pomegranate prevents cartilage deterioration and hence keeps osteoarthritis at bay.
- Researchers have proved that maternal intake of pomegranate juice can protect the neonatal brain from damage after an injury.